Priceline’s AI-Powered Trip Intelligence Suite Saves Consumers Time and Money
With a major upgrade to Priceline’s proprietary GenAI assistant Penny and 30+ new features, Priceline improves the travel experience with the industry’s most comprehensive set of AI tools
At Priceline, we know a few things about giving our customers more for less. For over 25 years, we’ve had some pretty incredible people innovating around the clock – and while they haven’t figured out a way to squeeze more hours into the day, they have come up with a few ingenious hacks to save you time and money.
We’re excited to announce the next evolution of Priceline’s Trip Intelligence suite, leading with generative AI-powered travel assistant, Penny, who after six months of learning what travelers want most, is getting a well-deserved promotion! Penny is now available throughout Priceline to offer white-glove, bespoke travel assistance available round-the-clock.
Travelers today have all the excitement of the world at their fingertips, with the next adventure only a click away. But researching and booking the perfect experience can be time-consuming. In fact, travelers are actually spending more time planning their trips than ever before. A recent Priceline study found that US adults spend the equivalent of two full work days to plan and book a trip. Even more so with Gen Z, who report spending more than 20 hours. So, our dedicated team of AI experts, prompt engineers, product developers and data scientists got to work to come up with some major time-saving features.
The result? Imagine the world’s greatest professional concierge combined with that all-star mind-reading front desk agent who always saves the day: that’s Penny, powered up with new capabilities to help you plan fast, generate personalized itineraries, change bookings, and score the best deals in travel. The Trip Intelligence suite has also been upgraded with more than 30 fresh capabilities, maximizing booking flexibility and time-savings, including:
- a quick-access, one-stop wallet
- instant itinerary creation for multi-day trips
- always-available, on-demand AI assistance with your trip
And we’re just getting warmed up!
“After six months of expert, on-the-job training, Penny is ready to deliver a more cohesive and personalized booking experience that saves people time and hassle,” said Brett Keller, CEO, Priceline. “This is a continuation of Priceline’s tradition of revolutionizing travel with pioneering technology. We began fully integrating generative AI relatively early, and our tools and features will only get better as customers and partners engage with them more and more.”
Plan smarter, travel easier
This new, smarter evolution of Penny represents a breakthrough in time-saving technology, making research and planning a breeze for every type of traveler. Here are just a few of the capabilities designed to simplify the process while delivering unparalleled depth of customization and deals:
Discover with Penny: Feel overwhelmed with all the choice and don’t know where to even start to get the most out of your trip? Penny now helps you discover destinations directly from the home page with lightning-fast suggestions, helping you find the right accommodation and travel package based on your specific criteria. Looking for sunny beaches within a four hour flight from NYC in January? National parks within driving distance for family fun and adventure? Just ask; Penny quickly finds all those results for you – and more – without having to set up multiple filters to craft that perfect trip.
Troubleshoot with Penny: Plans can change in a heartbeat – we think travelers deserve the ability to modify the details of their trip as quickly and easily as possible. With Penny ready to help at a moment’s notice, you can view the details of your trip in a single glance or make changes to your schedule on the fly. And in scenarios where customers are looking for customer support, we estimate that chatting with Penny can save an average of nearly 10 minutes compared to talking with an agent on a helpline. Additionally, Penny can initiate hotel cancellations on your behalf or get the ball rolling on re-bookings and date adjustments. Or for the times when you just need to talk with a person, Penny easily connects you to the right party. Finding help is as simple as chatting with Penny – and best of all, help is available 24/7/365.
New game-changing GenAI capabilities in the Priceline app – The Priceline app just graduated from ‘amazingly handy’ to ‘absolutely indispensable’ with our new GenAI tech accelerating trip research and itinerary creation process.
- GenAI Itineraries – Priceline’s new iOS app capability lets you instantaneously generate action-packed, personalized itineraries to get the most out of every moment of your trip. From breakfast to dinner to whitewater rafting and bumper cars in between, GenAI itineraries are a life-saver for travelers – and especially so for family trip planners trying to balance everyone’s different ideas of fun! How about a week in Tokyo filled with shopping and sightseeing, plus a day trip to see the cherry blossoms near Fuji Five Lakes? Or suggestions for two days of museums and good eats in New York? Our ultra-fast AI generates a comprehensive travel itinerary customized to your trip, addressing all of the must-dos and must-sees.
- Big upgrades to the app experience – Aside from major design improvements across all platforms, including fresh, top-to-bottom overhauls for our iOS and Android apps, customers can look forward to a number of new features and integrations.
- Beginning in March, Apple users will have access to Live Activity updates for flights in real-time, right on your phone’s lock screen. We’ve also made it simple to start your search for hotel deals and car rentals from the convenience of your iPhone’s Spotlight search function – just start typing away and we’ll shortcut you to the right place in the Priceline app. Within iOS, travelers also have access to our new Trip Timeline – a practical at-a-glance view with all the key dates for your upcoming trips.
- For Android users, easily find support when you need it fast, with the ability to text with a Priceline Customer Service representative without needing to leave the app.
“Booking with confidence and saving time are absolutely key for our customers,” said Kevin Heery, Chief Product Officer. “Our expanded Trip Intelligence suite will enable Priceline to further anticipate travelers’ needs, helping them book their trip with ease and peace of mind seamlessly and faster than ever before.”
Money-saving meets time-saving
At Priceline, innovation is geared toward three goals: finding the best deals in travel, enabling customers to book with confidence, and crafting technologies to streamline and enrich trip planning. Our upgraded Trip Intelligence suite features a slate of new time-saving tools to deliver on all these commitments as (super)humanly possible.
- Priceline Wallet – Never miss out on a deal or misplace a credit again. The new Priceline Wallet lets you save coupons, keep on top of expiration dates, and track airline credits to use toward your next trip. This one-stop portfolio keeps all your important codes secure in one fast-access location so you save even more time and money at check out.
- Price Watch – Keeping tabs on price changes for your preferred flights can get tiresome, fast. So leave it to us (after all, we are the price experts!). Our app will keep an eye to the sky for the best travel deals on your behalf so you can rest easy knowing you’ll be promptly notified following a price change on your desired flight itinerary.
And here are a few more of the 30+ new features in the upgraded Trip Intelligence suite, available now:
- Cabin Comparisons in Search – Eliminate seat FOMO! Search results for all domestic flights are now enhanced with cabin and seat comparisons, enabling you to succinctly evaluate cabin attributes, pricing, upgrade options, and other enhancements to make sure you book the exact experience you want.
- Skip the Counter and Online Rental Car Check-In – Save time by skipping the counter and getting right in your vehicle. Or check-in online ahead of time with select partners to significantly cut your counter wait time.
- Car Upgrades at Checkout – Everybody loves an upgrade. If a larger or more premium vehicle is available for a similar price, we’ll let you know before checking out.
- Baggage View – Baggage allocations and pricing remain in persistent view throughout the booking process, which means no more juggling tabs or hitting the back button.
- Multi-Passenger Cancellation and Rebooking – Get your family’s itinerary back on track with the ability to bypass contacting an airline agent and rebooking tickets with your airline credit, directly with Priceline for select airlines.
- Offers in the PayPal App: Priceline has joined forces with PayPal for the upcoming launch of their new offers platform. Beginning later this year, Priceline expects to provide personalized cash-back offers to consumers in the PayPal app for use when purchasing their travel on Priceline and checking out with PayPal – helping them get to their happy place for a happy price.
To celebrate the launch of the new Trip Intelligence features, Priceline is offering a 10% discount on Express DealsⓇ, exclusively through Penny. Simply ask Penny, “can you get me a deal?” to reveal the code and book by February 27th to take advantage of this special offer.
All of these exciting new features and more will be available to all Priceline customers starting February 13, 2024. To experience the power of Penny and our GenAI-enhanced Trip Intelligence suite visit priceline.com/2024winterrelease.